UPSC : Civil Services Exam : Previous Years Essay Papers
Essay Paper 20111. Creation of smaller states and the consequent administrative , economic and developmental implication
2. Does Indian Cinema shape our popular culture or merely reflect it
3. Credit – based higher education system – status , opportunities and challenges
4. In the Indian context , Both human intelligence and technical intelligence are crucial in combating terrorism
Essay Paper 20101. Geography may remain the same ; history need not.
2. Should a moratorium be imposed on all fresh mining in tribal areas of the country?
3. Preparedness of our society for India’s global leadership role.
4. From traditional Indian philanthropy to the Gates-Buffet model-a natural progression or a paradigm shift?
Essay Paper 20091. Are our traditional handicrafts doomed to a slow death?
2. Are we a 'Soft' state ?
3. "The focus of health care is increasingly getting skewed towards the 'haves' of our society".
4. "Good Fences make good neighbors"
5. 'Globlisation' vs. 'Nationalism'
Essay Paper 20081. Role of Media in good governance
2. National Identity and Patritism
3. Special Economic Zone : Boon or Bane
4. Descipline means success , anarchy means ruin
5. Urbanisation and Its Hazards
6. Is an Egalitarian society possible by educating the masses ?
Essay Paper 20071. Independent thinking should be encouraged right form the childhood.
2. Evaluation of Panchayati Raj System in India from the point of view of eradication of power to people.
3. Attitude makes, habit makes character and character makes a man.
4. Is Autonomy the best answer to combat balkanization?
5. How has satellite television brought about cultural change in Indian mindsets.
6. BPO boom in India.
Essay Paper 20061. Women's Reservation Bill Would Usher in Empowerment for Women in India.
2. Protection of Ecology and Environment is Essential for Sustained Economic Development.
3. Importance of Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement
4. "Education for All" Campaign in India: Myth or Reality.
5. Globalization Would Finish Small-Scale Industries in India.
6. Increasing Computerization Would lead to the Creation of a Dehumanized Society.
Essay Paper 20051. Justice must reach the poor
2. The hand that rocks the cradle
3. If women ruled the world
4. What is real education?
5. Terrorism and world peace
6. Food security for sustainable national development
Essay Paper 20041. India's Role in Promoting ASEAN Co-operation.
2. Judicial Activism and Indian Democracy.
3. Whither Women's Emancipation?
4. Globalizations and Its Impact on Indian Culture.
5. The Lure of Space.
6. Water Resources Should Be Under the Control of the Central Government.
Essay Paper 20031. The Masks of New Imperialism.
2. How far has democracy in India delivered the goods?
3. How should a civil servant conduct himself?
4. As civilization advances culture declines.
5. There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
6. Spirituality and Scientific temper.
Essay Paper 20021. Modern technological education and human values.
2. Search for truth can only be a spiritual problem.
3. If youth knew, if age could.
4. The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
5. Privatization of higher education in India.
6. Responsibility of media in a democracy.
Essay Paper 20011. What have we gained from our democratic set-up?
2. My vision of an ideal world order.
3. The march of science and the erosion of human values.
4. Irrelevance of the classroom.
5. The pursuit of excellence.
6. Empowerment alone cannot help our women.
Essay Paper 20001. Why should we be proud of being Indians?
2. The cyberworld: Its charms and challenges.
3. The country's need for a better disaster management system.
4. Indian culture today: A myth or a reality?
5. The implications of globalization for India.
6. Modernism and our traditional socio-ethical values.
Essay Paper 19991. Women empowerment: Challenges and prospects.
2. Youth culture today.
3. Mass media and cultural invasion.
4. Resource management in the Indian context.
5. Value-based science and education.
6. Reservation, politics and empowerment.
Essay Paper 19981. The composite culture of India.
2. Woman is God's best creation.
3.The misinterpretation and misuse of freedom in India.
4. India's contribution to world wisdom.
5. The language problem in India: Its past, present and prospects.
6. The world of the twenty-first century.
Essay Paper 19971. What we have not learnt during fifty years of Independence.
2. Judicial activism.
3. Greater political power alone will not improve women's plight.
4. True religion cannot be misused.
5. The modern doctor and his patients.
6. Urbanization is a blessing in disguise.
Essay Paper 19961. Literacy is growing very fast, but there is no corresponding growth in education.
2. Restructuring of UNO reflect present realities
3. New cults and Godmen: a threat to traditional religion
4. The VIP cult is a bane of Indian democracy
5. Need for transparency in public administration
6. Truth is lived, not taught
Essay Paper 19951. Politics without ethics is a disaster.
2. The new emerging women Power: the ground realities.
3. When money speaks, the truth is silent.
4. Whither Indian democracy?
5. Restructuring of Indian education system.
6. Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the lifeblood of civilisation.
7. Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.
Essay Paper 19941. Youth is a blunder, Manhood a struggle, oldage a regret
2. The Indian society at the crossroads.
3. Modernisation and westernisation are not identical concepts.
4. Useless life is an early death.
5. Politics, bureaucracy and business – Fatal Triangle.
6. Multinational corporations – saviours or saboteurs
Essay Paper 1993. My vision of India in 2001 A.D.
2. The global order: political and economic
3. He would reigns within himself and folds his passions and desires and fears is more than a king.
4. Compassion is the basic of all morality would
5. Men have failed: let women take over.
6. Economic growth without distributive justice is bound to breed violence.
7. Ecological considerations need not hamper development.
8. Computer: the harbinger of silent revolution.